Screams echoed through the smoke-filled stairwells. Windows shattered from the heat. Trapped residents pounded on walls as flames swallowed their homes.
By the time firefighters arrived, Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po was already a towering inferno, its outer scaffolding ablaze and the fire spreading with terrifying speed.

Firefighters tackle a fire engulfing residential buildings at Wang Fuk Court in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong, China, on November 26, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
At least 55 people were killed, including a firefighter, in what is now one of Hong Kong’s deadliest residential fires in recent history. But with 279 still missing, the full horror is only beginning to emerge.
Fireball Engulfs Building in Minutes
The Fire Services Department (FSD) received the first call at 2:51 p.m. on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. Within five minutes, crews arrived to find scaffolding outside the building already engulfed in flames — a horrifying sign of what was to come.

Map locating a fire that broke out in several high-rise blocks in a Hong Kong residential estate on November 26, 2025 | Source: Getty Images
The blaze spread rapidly into nearby blocks, and by 6:22 p.m., officials had raised the alarm to No. 5 — the highest on the scale. Over 1,200 fire and ambulance workers flooded the site, backed by more than 200 fire engines and 100 ambulances.
With 11 jets and eight turntable ladders, crews battled the fast-moving flames while 26 search and rescue teams hunted for survivors inside the burning complex.
Police and Hospitals Mobilize for Mass Casualty Response
The Hong Kong Police launched an emergency command post, deploying over 1,000 officers to help with evacuations, traffic control, and field support. A casualty hotline was set up as desperate families searched for missing loved ones.

A woman breaks down after learning the death of her relative as rescue efforts continue at the Wang Fuk Court residential buildings, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, on November 27, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
Meanwhile, hospitals citywide braced for the worst. Nine public facilities, including North District and Prince of Wales Hospitals, activated disaster protocols. Burn units and hyperbaric oxygen chambers stood ready as waves of injured victims arrived.
By 9:30 p.m., more than 900 survivors had been relocated to eight government shelters. Most had fled with nothing. Some wore only slippers. Others clutched children still shaking from the ordeal.
Civil Aid Service teams and medical social workers scrambled to provide shelter, food, and emotional support as Hong Kong reeled from the shock.

People watch residential buildings that continue to burn at Wang Fuk Court in the Tai Po district on November 27, 2025, in Hong Kong, China. | Source: Getty Images
Police wasted no time. By Thursday, three men aged 52 to 68 were arrested for manslaughter in Ngau Tau Kok, Tai Po, and Wong Tai Sin. All are linked to a construction firm involved in recent repairs at the complex.
Authorities now suspect that unauthorized scaffolding materials and flammable foam boards on the windows may have helped fuel the fire’s devastating spread.
Blaze Declared Hong Kong’s Deadliest Fire in 63 Years
The fire has now been officially declared the worst in Hong Kong in at least 63 years. This marks the first level five fire in Hong Kong in 17 years. The fire was said to have started at a gym on the first floor of the building.
At a press conference Thursday afternoon, fire officials refused to speculate on how many people may still be alive inside, but one stated, “We haven’t given up until now.”
They described the rescue effort as being hampered by high temperatures, small and crowded interiors, and the risk of scaffolding collapse. “It’s difficult but going well at the moment,” one official told reporters.

Rescuers with flashlights search for survivors at the Wang Fuk Court residential buildings, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, on November 27, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
Scaffolding Disaster: How Bamboo Turned Buildings Into a Firetrap
According to a fire safety expert, the large amount of bamboo scaffolding connecting the apartment blocks contributed to the spread of last night’s fire.
The estate’s buildings, constructed in the 1980s, were relatively old and not particularly fire-resistant, as noted by Professor Jiang Liming from Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
“The modern buildings have double pane glass windows, but for this one they perhaps used just a single pane… [which makes it] very easy to be broken by the flames and the flames can then penetrate through the facade,” he told BBC News.

Firefighters spray water on flames as a major blaze burns through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on November 27, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
Earlier this year, Hong Kong authorities had already announced plans to phase out bamboo scaffolding due to its combustibility and tendency to deteriorate over time.
Jason Poon, chairman of construction NGO China Monitor, added, “No matter the cause of the fire, proper netting on the buildings’ exterior would have been key to preventing the spread of fire.”
Ho Wai-Ho Remembered as a Hero
Among the deceased is Ho Wai-ho, a 37-year-old firefighter from Sha Tin Fire Station who had served for nine years. The Fire Services Department said they lost contact with Ho at 3:30 p.m., and he was found collapsed half an hour later. He died at 4:41 p.m. in Prince of Wales Hospital.
Andy Yeung, director of fire services, stated, “Having been a member of the Fire Services Department for about nine years, Mr Ho’s performance was valiant. I am profoundly grieved at the loss of this dedicated and gallant fireman.”

Chou Wing-yin, assistant chief ambulance officer (New Territories East), speaking to media amid ongoing operations to control a major fire at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on November 26, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
Yeung concluded, “All of our colleagues are deeply saddened by the loss of such a devoted comrade. On behalf of all our colleagues, I have offered the deepest condolences to his family.” Another firefighter remains hospitalized.
Grief on the Ground: Survivors Tell of Close Calls and Loss
Residents told harrowing stories of close calls and confusion. Explosions were reported inside the buildings, and fire hoses couldn’t reach the upper levels, delaying the rescue.
One man cried in front of cameras, saying, “What was the reason the unit was filled with smoke within just 10 minutes? How could this be allowed to happen… There was no chance for people to get out alive.”

Residents take refuge at a temporary shelter after a fire broke out at the Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong, China, on November 26, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
According to sources, a baby and an elderly woman were among those who were safely rescued from the blaze. They both received oxygen masks and were rushed to the hospital.
Several media sources aired dramatic scenes of residents watching in horror as their homes burned. An 82-year-old woman, surnamed Wu, told BBC Chinese she had been playing mahjong with friends when the fire broke out. “I stayed here to watch what was going on. I told my son I would only be at peace when the fire calmed down,” she said.

A woman is seen crying near residential buildings that continue to burn at Wang Fuk Court in the Tai Po district on November 27, 2025, in Hong Kong, China. | Source: Getty Images
According to a 2021 census, nearly 40 percent of the 4,600 residents at Wang Fuk Court are aged 65 or above. Many have lived in the subsidized public housing estate since its construction in the 1980s.
Elderly individuals, including some who use wheelchairs or walking aids, have moved to a nearby temporary shelter. Coaches will later transport them to community halls set to remain open overnight for those displaced by the fire.

Residents impacted by the fire at the Wang Fuk Court rest at a temporary shelter in Tai Po district in Hong Kong, China, on November 27, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
A City Asks: Could This Have Been Prevented?
As plumes of smoke continue to rise, Hong Kong’s Housing Authority and Buildings Department have launched an urgent review. Materials from the buildings and scaffolding will be tested for compliance with safety standards.
Secretary for Security Chris Tang said the rapid spread was unusual, adding, “The blaze should not have engulfed the buildings so quickly if regulated materials and scaffolding had been present.”
As rescue efforts press on, the number of missing and injured remains uncertain. The death toll is expected to rise. As investigations intensify, Hong Kong is left grappling with a painful question: Was this tragedy avoidable?



